Sunday, June 13, 2021

Vaccine Odyssey: Where will the journey lead?

My personal journey through the COVID-19 pandemic has been challenging in many ways. Since word of this novel virus began circulating, I was asked by my employer to be part of a small team that would monitor the science, consider impacts to the workforce, recommend actions, and communicate important information to employees.  After more than a year, these activities have taken a personal toll on my physical and mental health, and have proven to be an obstacle to my own understanding of the effects the pandemic is having on me in ways that are distinct from the organization that employed me.

Part of my pandemic journey was a decision to retire from my 30 year career in public service.  But leaving has taken a long time because I was asked to continue working part-time for six months past my official retirement date.   It pleases me to have finished my last assignments and to be finally, fully and completely finished with that chapter of my life; I finally have time to think about the personal impacts of the pandemic, of  being vaccinated, and of establishing new routines that do not revolve around the demands of employment.  I have begun a new journey in my life.

What I am finding in these few short weeks of being retired during a pandemic (because the pandemic may be slowing but it is not yet over) is that life seems more complicated instead of being more simple.  What are my priority projects?  Should I go out more? Is it safe to gather with friends?  What about activities outside the safety of our home, and mixing with strangers?  What size crowd is too big or too dangerous?    When do I need to wear a cloth covering over my nose and mouth?  What will fill my days if I no longer have the pandemic and other professional obligations to occupy my time and my thoughts?  What time should I get up in the morning?

My journey is something of a messy endeavor and I find it is rarely easy.  The journey of finding a “new normal” for me means accepting that things will never be the way they were before in so many ways.  It means giving up the sense of community I felt with my work group, and giving up the physical separations that have become familiar and somewhat comfortable in these past 15 months.  It means finding a new focus and meaningful activities to fill my days.

The introduction of vaccines to combat COVID-19 sends us on a journey out of the restrictions that preserved my health during the pandemic, and into a place and routines that are new and unfamiliar.  My personal journey into retirement is similar and simultaneous, yet distinctly different even though is part of the same whole.

Vaccine Odyssey: Where will the journey lead?



Each postcard in this edition of 108 was individually painted using acrylic colors on watercolor paper, printed with an original linoleum block cut, and varnished to protect the surface.  

Please leave a comment about how this resonates with you, then check out my other posts and share this blog with your friends.




Vaccine Odyssey (front, view 1)



Vaccine Odyssey (front, view 2)



Vaccine Odyssey (front, view 3)



Vaccine Odyssey (reverse)

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your retirement Dave! Wishing you all the best in the next chapter filled with all the things that you love. T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Your art and your words both capture the ambivalence I’m experiencing and the immensity of COVID and the vaccine. Thank you and congrats on your well-earned retirement. - Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this (and all) mail art - such a joy in my mailbox! Thank you for all the hard, careful work you did to help an important front-line agency navigate this crazy time. I'm sure our whole community is better of because of the hard work you offered. I'm happy for you, and excited to follow where your journey takes you next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you all the best on this phase of your life journey. Receiving your mail art is always a bright spot in my day, especially during the pandemic.

    On this phase of life's journey, I encourage you to listen to your inner self/true self and let it guide you through each day. No need for an alarm clock. Let your body awaken when it is ready. I've been practicing this during the past 15 months and have found that even when I stay up too late and have an appointment first thing the next morning, the true self has not failed me. Plan to keep practicing this. It serves to keep me attuned to listening to my true self in other areas of life. Quite intriguing.

    Congrats on your retirement!

    ReplyDelete