Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Summer of COVID-19: Long and Hot

As the summer begins, Dallas is experiencing an alarming rise in the number of COVID19 infections. There is unprecedented strain on our healthcare system and confusing messages from the many voices that speak about the pandemic. Public health is mixed with politics as election season approaches. It will no doubt be a long and hot summer.

I continue to shelter in place, going out only to shop for necessities. Occasionally I go for a drive just to get out of the house for a change of scenery. I miss going to art museums, dining in restaurants, being with my friends, and events that allow me the opportunity to get dressed up or a reason to buy new shoes. I do enjoy planning meals at home, cooking, and using this opportunity to eat a little less and loose a few pounds so I can be more healthy. I have re-discovered the joys and benefits of stretching and yoga. I center my thoughts and focus on my breath during the time I spend watering the young plants in our yard. This summer I am experiencing a new combination of familiar activities and experiences. It seems the same is true for most people I know.

The "Summer of Covid-19" mail art project is born from my anticipation of the sunny and hot days this season will bring and the still-present and ever-growing threat of the coronavirus. The project also marks the beginning of a new acceptance of the fact that the current pandemic will not end soon or without more changes to the way I live my life.

I want you all to be safe and to stay well. Please wear a mask when you are out in public, maintain social distancing, wash your hands frequently, and encourage those around you to do the same.

Summer is only beginning and it is sure to be long and hot during this COVID-19 pandemic.

The 4" x 6" postcards in this project are painted with acrylic paint on watercolor paper, and given a gloss varnish. The reverse is printed with custom rubber stamps. There are 215 pieces in this edition.

Everyone deserves to get art in the mail during a pandemic. #MailArtSalon



Summer of COVID-19 - 101 of 215


Summer of COVID-19 - 103 of 215


Summer of COVID-19 - 104 of 215


Summer of COVID-19 - 107 of 215


Summer of COVID-19 - Reverse

No comments:

Post a Comment